The start of GSOC coding phase is getting closer and closer, so I started examining and debuging the Eclipse source. I'm beginning to understand how all the code generators work, although not without problems. The most difficult for me is the dialogs part - I would say that a little refactoring should be done here. Anyway, it's just GUI so I think it won't be so hard to handle it. As for the code generation itself, the operations seemed rather clear to me. Also, I'm going to read this article about abstract syntax tree to get more details.
After reading Remy's great article How to contribute to Eclipse projects I decided to give it a try and found this bug: 203132. It was pretty easy and referred to functionality I was just examining. But still I forgot to clean up some unused strings and had to send the patch three times. Well, at least I'll be more careful next time. Too bad it's too late to make changes in Eclipse 3.4. It would be much more fun if I didn't have to wait so long to see my code in HEAD CVS.